Two day workshop (£290) for therapists who have already completed Sharon Wheeler’s ScarWork™ Therapist full training. Participants can expand develop their knowledge, confidence and skills to aid recovery after breast cancer surgery. With 1:8 women developing breast cancer this course is a great way to gain experience in this delicate area. Participants will have a chance to run through all the relevant techniques from the original ScarWork™ Therapist course and then further develop their skills. With two clinical sessions, participants will have the opportunity to treat up to 6 volunteer models with a variety of common problems after breast cancer surgery.
Developed and designed by Emma Holly, using her experience with oncology patients, to enhance your skills and develop a thoughtful approach to ScarWork™ treatment. With a later 10am start on Saturday to allow you time to arrive and an early 4pm finish on Sunday, the course timings were set with your journey in mind.
Pre-course reading is issued prior to the workshop. While the workshop emphasis is to enhance and refine participant’s practical ScarWork™ skills, this workshop includes theory sessions to leave participants better able to communicate about the benefits and considerations for ScarWork™ within oncology.
Patient care is a priority when working within oncology, we will discuss considerations of radiotherapy, chemotherapy and ongoing medications which may affect treatment. Common complications such as lymphoedema, cording, seroma, fat necrosis, haematoma and rejection of implant/reconstruction failure.
Wednesday 16th September 2020 9.30am-4.45pm
- Practical demonstration of Sharon Wheeler’s ScarWork techniques suitable for use after breast cancer surgery
- Practical ScarWork™ technique refinement and development (paired practice)
- Demonstration on a volunteer model of scar assessment techniques
- Scar healing timelines with additional considerations following surgery such as radiotherapy, chemotherapy and medications
- Common complications in scar healing after breast cancer surgery including mastectomy, lumpectomy and breast reconstruction and their treatment with ScarWork™
- Understanding the impact of breast cancer surgery on mobility, fascia and breathing
- Understanding the impact of lymphoedema, capsular contracture, haematoma and lipomas as a ScarWork™ Therapist
Thursday 17th September 2020 9.30am-4.45pm
- Technique refinement and development (paired practice)
- Treatment demonstration on a volunteer model
- Two practical supervised clinical sessions with scars from breast cancer surgery
- Building relationships within cancer care, consultants, breast care nurses, local support groups and developing opportunities for business development and specialism
- When to treat scars after breast cancer surgery, considerations for chemotherapy and after radiotherapy
- Working with clients during chemotherapy: safety and considerations
- Emotional impact of breast cancer surgery and the benefits of therapeutic touch
- End of life and working with clients with metastatic cancer
- Client expectations and treatment planning
- Adapting your consultation process
- Supporting your client’s recovery and signposting
Emma Holly has been working extensively within breast cancer care since qualifying in ScarWork™. As a ScarWork™ teacher, Emma has delivered training at leading UK cancer centres to their massage therapists, lymphoedema therapists and oncology physiotherapists. Emma is working with consultant oncology breast surgeons and is well placed to share her specialist knowledge and skills to benefit your therapy practice.
Maximum 14 students
Only book if you already hold a ScarWork™ certification
Please read the terms and conditions before booking
Payment Option 3: Flexible payments (£290 inc VAT)
Contact email@example.com for a PayPal flexible invoice. £50 non-refundable deposit is payable now, the remaining balance can be paid in full, or partial payments to suit you. The remaining balance should be paid in full 14 days in advance of the course.