Four day therapist training course (£580) Discover the gentle approach to scar management techniques. Saturday/Sunday 2nd-3rd March 2019 and Saturday/Sunday 23rd-24th March. For beginners new to learning Sharon Wheeler’s ScarWork or after attending a One Day Introduction to ScarWork
Comprehensive training in Sharon Wheeler’s original ScarWork, covering 20 ScarWork techniques and their application to help improve scars after surgery or accidents. With extensive skill development sessions, attendees will complete the training having really gained confidence and understanding in the application of these simple but effective techniques. At the end of this training you will be certified as a ScarWork Therapist and listed on the UK register.
This course is divided into two weekends, to allow time for attendee’s to develop and practice their skills. The first weekend will cover the majority of the theory and the 20 techniques. Attendee’s can then practice these skills before returning to reflect on their experiences and answer any queries that may have arisen. On the second training weekend, we will recap the techniques in a paired session. This is followed by extensive clinical sessions to further refine the ScarWork skills for the attendee’s and understand how to adapt them for each client.
We will have group discussions to consider different approaches and alternative treatment plans. Non-intensive learning is often considered the quality approach as attendees should be able to absorb more information and have longer to develop their skills than intensive courses.
Summary of learning:
- – Scar healing timelines
- – Different presentations of scars including keloid, hypertrophic and contracture scars and considerations for therapy
- – Physical restrictions caused by scars: Understanding of surgical scar tissue and the lasting impact on movement and mobility
- – Common complications after surgery and the impact on healing
- – Sharon Wheeler and the development of ScarWork
- – Contraindications to ScarWork
- – Palpitation and scar assessment skills
- – 20 ScarWork techniques, designed to promote healthy scar tissue and their application on a range of scars
- – Emotional impact scars and the benefits of therapeutic touch
- – Supporting your clients recovery and signposting
- – Scars and fascia
- – Wider considerations for treatment
- – How often and for how long? Developing ideas for treatment planning and scheduling within your therapy clinic
- – Client consultations and record keeping
The days are divided into theory and practical sessions. Attendees begin the practical work with paired practice and advance to external client sessions, where a variety of volunteer models attend. Attendees will have extensive opportunities to develop their practical skills in the correct pressure and delivery of the ScarWork techniques on a variety of scars from new to old scars and larger surgeries to keyhole procedures*.
At the end of the course attendees may choose to attend an advanced ScarWork course. All participants must have a qualification in anatomy and physiology and at least one year’s experience in therapy to participate on this course. No previous knowledge of ScarWork or working with scars is required.
Maximum 14 attendees
*where permitting, subject to volunteers available for the sessions
Please read the terms and conditions before booking
Fully Booked: More dates to follow later in 2019