Non-Consecutive four day training delivered over 2 weekends. Saturday 8th and Sunday 9th February and Saturday 7th and Sunday 8th March. Learn Sharon Wheeler’s original ScarWork™. Unlike some scar massage, these 20 ScarWork™ techniques are comfortable to the patient and gentle on the therapist’s hands. Discover the gentle approach to scar management techniques.
Learn the application of ScarWork™ to help improve scars after surgery or accidents. With extensive skill development sessions, attendees will complete the training having really gained confidence and understanding in the application of these simple but effective techniques. At the end of this training you will be certified as a ScarWork Therapist and listed on the UK register.
This course is delivered in two parts. Over the first weekend we will cover the majority of the theory and techniques. Attendees will be asked to practice at home and develop their skills before returning for the second weekend to consolidate and refine the techniques in extensive clinical sessions. We will have group discussions to consider different approaches, considerations and treatment plans. Non intensive courses are considered best for capturing the most from the learning experience, allowing time to practice between classes and see how the skills will fit into your client base.
Summary of learning:
- Scar healing timelines
- Different presentations of scars including keloid, hypertrophic and contracture scars and considerations for therapy
- Physical restrictions caused by scars: Understanding of surgical scar tissue and the lasting impact on movement and mobility
- Common complications after surgery and the impact on healing
- Sharon Wheeler and the development of ScarWork™
- Contraindications to ScarWork™
- Palpitation and scar assessment skills
- 20 ScarWork™ techniques, designed to promote healthy scar tissue and their application on a range of scars
- Emotional impact scars and the benefits of therapeutic touch
- Supporting your clients recovery and signposting
- Scars and fascia
- Wider considerations for treatment
- How often and for how long? Developing ideas for treatment planning and scheduling within your therapy clinic
- Client consultations and record keeping
The days are divided into theory and practical sessions. Clients begin the practical work with paired practice and advance to external client sessions, where a variety of volunteer models attend. Attendees will have numerous opportunities to develop their skills in the correct pressure and delivery of the ScarWork techniques on a variety of scars from new to old scars and larger surgeries to keyhole procedures*.
Maximum 14 attendees. At the end of the course attendees may choose to attend an advanced ScarWork course.
All attendees must be professionally qualified in a full body therapy such as massage, osteopathy, physiotherapy etc. Attendees must hold up-to-date professional insurance (suitable for their background). At least one year’s experience in therapy is required to participate on this course. No previous knowledge of ScarWork™, scar treatment or working with scars is required. The course is focussed on practical skill development and revision of anatomy is not required. Clinical research on manual scar therapy is limited, and will not be covered in the classroom. You will be signposted to available texts which may help support arguments for the benefits of treatment.
*where permitting, subject to volunteers available for the sessions
Dates or location are not suitable this time? Subscribe for updates to be the first to hear about future training dates.
Cost: £580 inc VAT Please read the terms and conditions before booking
Now fully booked. Contact email@example.com to be added to the course waiting list.