For the first time in Cheltenham: Non-Consecutive four day therapist scar tissue training course on Tuesday 3rd and Wednesday 4th March followed by Tuesday 31st March and Wednesday 1st April 2020. Learn Sharon Wheeler’s original ScarWork, discover the gentle approach to scar management techniques. Unlike some scar massage, Sharon Wheeler’s ScarWork techniques are comfortable to the patient.
Discover the application of ScarWork to help improve scars after surgery or accidents. This is a practical course, with extensive skill development sessions so attendees will complete the training having really gained confidence and understanding in the application of these simple but effective techniques. At the end of this training you will be certified as a ScarWork Therapist and listed on the UK register.
This course is delivered intensively over four non-consecutive days. The first two days, we will cover the majority of the theory and the 20 techniques. Attendees will be asked to practice at home and develop their skills before returning to consolidate and refine the techniques in extensive clinical sessions.
We will have group discussions to consider different approaches to treatment planning, dependent on your therapy training background.
Non-intensive learning allows time to develop these new skills on days 1 and 2. Attendees are able to practice within the comfort of your usual environment before returning to consolidate and finish the workshop on days 3 and 4 with a better understanding of how you will incorporate the techniques into your business.
Summary of learning:
- – Scar healing timelines
- – Different presentations of scars including keloid, hypertrophic and contracture scars and considerations for therapy
- – Physical restrictions caused by scars and fibrosis. The lasting impact on fascia, movement and mobility
- – Common complications after surgery and the impact on scar tissue formation
- – Sharon Wheeler and the development of ScarWork
- – Contraindications to ScarWork
- – Palpitation and scar assessment skills
- – 20 ScarWork techniques, designed to promote healthy scar tissue and their application on a range of scars
- – Emotional impact scars and the benefits of therapeutic touch
- – Supporting your clients recovery and signposting
- – How often and for how long? Developing ideas for treatment planning and scheduling within your therapy clinic
- – Wider considerations for treatment within your therapeutic setting
- – Client consultations and record keeping
The days are divided into theory and practical sessions. Clients begin the practical work with paired practice and advance to external client sessions, where a variety of volunteer models attend. Attendees will have numerous opportunities to develop their skills in the correct pressure and delivery of the ScarWork techniques on a variety of scars from new to old scars and larger surgeries to keyhole procedures*.
At the end of the course attendees may choose to attend an advanced ScarWork course.
All attendees must be professionally qualified in a full body therapy such as massage, osteopathy, physiotherapy etc. Attendees must hold up-to-date professional insurance (suitable for their background). At least one year’s experience in therapy is required to participate on this course. No previous knowledge of ScarWork, scar treatment or working with scars is required. The course is focussed on practical skill development and revision of anatomy is not required. Clinical research on manual scar therapy is limited, and will not be covered in the classroom. You will be signposted to available texts which may help support arguments for the benefits of treatment.
*where permitting, subject to volunteers available for the sessions
Dates or location are not suitable this time? Subscribe for updates to be the first to hear about future training dates.
Maximum 10 attendees.
Please read the terms and conditions before booking