Four day therapist training course. Discover the gentle approach to scar management techniques. Learn Sharon Wheeler’s original ScarWork™. Unlike some scar massage, these 20 ScarWork™ techniques are comfortable to the patient and easy for the therapist. Discover the application of ScarWork™ to help improve scars after surgery or accidents. With extensive skill development sessions, attendees will complete the training having really gained confidence and understanding in the application of these simple but effective techniques. At the end of this training you will be certified as a ScarWork™ Therapist and listed on the UK register.
This course is delivered intensively over four days. The first two days, we will cover the majority of the theory and the 20 techniques. We then put these new skills and learning into practice in extensive clinical sessions to further refine the ScarWork™ skills for the attendee’s and understand how to adapt them for each client. We will have group discussions to consider different approaches and alternative treatment plans. Intensive learning is often easier for those who struggle to get away from work and who are looking to quickly acquire new skills to enhance their therapeutic practice. Some learners will find that concentrating on covering the full ScarWork™ course without additional distractions will enable them to focus on learning the new pressure, original techniques and the ScarWork™ approach to treatment. For those needing to travel further to attend training, this may be the more cost effective option.
Summary of learning:
- Scar healing timelines
- Different presentations of scars including keloid, hypertrophic and contracture scars and considerations for therapy
- Physical restrictions caused by scars: Understanding of surgical scar tissue and the lasting impact on movement and mobility
- Common complications after surgery and the impact on healing
- Sharon Wheeler and the development of ScarWork™
- Contraindications to ScarWork™
- Palpitation and scar assessment skills
- 20 ScarWork™ techniques, designed to promote healthy scar tissue and their application on a range of scars
- Emotional impact scars and the benefits of therapeutic touch
- Supporting your clients recovery and signposting
- Scars and fascia
- Wider considerations for treatment
- How often and for how long? Developing ideas for treatment planning and scheduling within your therapy clinic
- Client consultations and record keeping
The days are divided into theory and practical sessions. Clients begin the practical work with paired practice and advance to external client sessions, where a variety of volunteer models attend. Attendees will have numerous opportunities to develop their skills in the correct pressure and delivery of the ScarWork techniques on a variety of scars from new to old scars and larger surgeries to keyhole procedures*.
Maximum 12 attendees. At the end of the course attendees may choose to attend an advanced ScarWork course.
All attendees must be professionally qualified in a full body therapy such as massage, osteopathy, physiotherapy etc. Attendees must hold up-to-date professional insurance (suitable for their background). At least one year’s experience in therapy is required to participate on this course. No previous knowledge of ScarWork™, scar treatment or working with scars is required. The course is focussed on practical skill development and revision of anatomy is not required. Clinical research on manual scar therapy is limited, and will not be covered in the classroom. You will be signposted to available texts which may help support arguments for the benefits of treatment.
*where permitting, subject to volunteers available for the sessions
Dates or location are not suitable this time? Subscribe for updates to be the first to hear about future training dates.